ic Test Blog: Thrifty Morning

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Thrifty Morning

I hadn't been out 
hitting the thrift stores in a bit
and figured that stopping by a few
was in order.

As my luck would have it, Goodwill
accommodated my thrifty mood
by having another of their
50% off most items sales 
on Saturday.

I only hit two Goodwills but was able to
score some thrifty deals.

The first item to make me stop in my tracks
were these lovely plate chargers
They are wood but look like embossed leather.
I was very pleased, when I turned one over, to see these tags
Yes, I paid $1.50 each for Pier 1 chargers!

I wandered a couple more aisles and then spied this box marked at $4.99, so on sale for $2.50
I am always on the lookout for storage items for all of my tablescaping "tools"
and was tickled pink to place this into my cart.
It's a silverware chest! The top lifts open and, added bonus, 
it has another drawer for even more flatware storage!
This $2.50 beauty is going to free up some cupboard space 
down in my storage area in the basement!

Now, if you are a regular thrifter you know, when looking at items,
you sometimes have to use your imagination.
As I have said before, it's not what it is but, what it can be!
That brings me to the next two finds
A large ribbed glass globe that could have been removed from someones hallway light.
And a candle stand that probably held a glass piece 
for the candle to go in.
$1.00 each.
Apart, not much (unless you need a replacement globe for your hallway, which I don't)
But together,
I now have a sweet piece of art to be placed in my garden this spring!
I am not sure if I will leave the globe as is
or
swirl a couple of shades of nail polish in it for color.
What do you think I should do?

By this time my cart was pretty full
and it was getting crowded 
(this is a very popular Goodwill on sale days)

So I decided to pay up and move on to another Goodwill closer to home.

The shelves were pretty bare at this
Goodwill.
Of course, that doesn't mean I didn't find
anything.
I was able to find a couple of things to re-home!

Luckily, I had these in my hand when I did
as a gentleman came up to me
and said it was a good thing I grabbed them as he
was going to take them himself.
To take to scrap!!
GASP!! 
Nuh uh!  Not on my watch buddy!
I held on to them even tighter!
Four tarnishy brass goblets at $1.00 each!
The tarnish didn't bother me.  
I know the power of the internet
and found an easy, at home, remedy.
I made a paste of vinegar, salt and flour and covered one of the
goblets with it to test.
After sitting for 10 minutes I rinsed it and got this
Lesson learned!  
Don't pass something up just because it isn't as pretty as it could be!
It's not always destined for scap!

I was also able to find some seasonal decor at this Goodwill.
This bunny couple just make me smile
Such sweet faces!
$1.50 each.

My last find will be put to use very soon!
A pair of cherub candle sticks for .49 each.
I hope to get my Valentine's Day decor
up this next week and these will 
be used on a tablescape.

I had such a fun time shopping.
It was a nice day and people
were so friendly (even Scrap Man).
Sometimes I wonder, is it the thrill of the hunt I love
or, being out with others that
enjoy finding great deals like I do?

What about you? 
What is it about thrifting
that draws you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment