ic Test Blog: Cranberry Catsup Recipe

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Cranberry Catsup Recipe

My buddies Jen at 
and
Julie at
 are at it again
with their 
Get Your Chef On Challenge
This month's secret ingredient is 
Cranberries!

I do love me some cranberries.
From the jellied to the sauced.
Doesn't matter.

It doesn't seem like Thanksgiving
without the the 
beloved canned marked cranberry
on the table.

{Source www.wired.com}

And, what's better than a 
sandwich made with leftover turkey
smeared with cranberries?

Um, nothing, that's what!

But, this is a challenge and, I knew
just posting a plate of 
canned cranberries was not going to cut it.

I wanted something that was a bit different
than the norm but,
would still be in keeping with the holiday.
 
Maybe something that would become a 
new tradition.
Something that I am always asked to bring.
Something that is easy to make
yet, tastes gourmet.

That's when I found this recipe at
Epicurious.com
 
Seriously?  
Cranberry Catsup?
Oh yeah!
 
It met every one of my requirements.
 
So, here you go Jen & Julie,
my entry into the
Get Your Chef On Challenge.
 
Cranberry Catsup
Adapted from Epicurious.com
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (not thawed; 1 lb)
  • 1 (2- by 1/2-inch) strip fresh orange zest
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Simmer the onion in water in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan, (I used my favorite Lodge 3 quart enameled Dutch oven) uncovered, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. 
Add cranberries and zest and simmer, uncovered, until berries are collapsed, about 10 minutes. 
Discard zest. Purée berries in a food processor, then force through a large sieve into saucepan and discard solids. Or, if you have a food mill, use that.  It's faster and one less step.  Don't have a food mill?  Go get you one! I use mine for homemade spaghetti sauce and applesauce too.

Stir in sugars, five-spice powder, and salt and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, to thicken, then cool completely. 
 This recipe makes enough to fill 2 pint
canning jars and can be kept, refrigerated
for up to a month.

 And OMG!
This seriously smells just like Christmas!
And the taste? 
Both savory and sweet!
It in no way tastes like tomato catsup.

This cranberry Catsup 
is PERFECT
for dipping your Thanksgiving turkey in
as well as slathering
all over that leftover sammich the next day.

 I cannot wait to put this on the 
holiday table and watch everyone's faces
when they dig into it!
A Sweet and Savory Cranberry Katsup Recipe from Kathe With An E
I am just going to sit back and
wait for the 
Oh. My. God.
moment once their taste buds 
get a hit of
Cranberry Catsup!


Click here to see where else I may be partying this week.

And don't forget to come by on Tuesday's
for the link party.
 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment