ic Test Blog: A Day at the Beach

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Day at the Beach

This is a repost from last August.
It seems as fitting this August as it did last August.
I'll be sharing this 
at Cuisine Kathleen's
Summer Fun Table Challenge 
And at
Between Naps on the Porch
Tablescape Thursday 


I'll admit it’s not been as hot as Texas and, thankfully, it’s not been as humid as Oklahoma but, for the record, it.has.been.hot in the Denver area this year. Period.  Over the past few weeks we have not only broken records, we have smashed a few too.  By the time September 1 rolls around, 2011 will go on the books as the hottest August since they began keeping records.  Oy!  We, meaning me, are just not used to this kind of heat here on the high plains of the Rocky Mountains.  We are used to, oh, maybe one, eh, possibly two, weeks of temperatures in the 90’s. 
exercising+in+hot+weather Alerts for S.B. County: Urgent weather message
A/C only goes so far in helping me to keep my cool.  If I was to “beat the heat”, as they say, I was going to have to create my own sense of cool. I had gone down to the basement where it is cool-isher to get something out of the freezer.  The freezer is located near where I store my tablescape stuff. I spent longer than I probably should have with my head in there but man-o-man, it felt sooo good! Out of the corner of my eye I spied something white.  A cool cool white.  Hmmm…it must be the heat.  My imagination must be playing tricks on me.  I started back up the stairs, almost in a dream state.  Ahhh…what if I could take a trip?  Someplace tropical.  White sandy beaches.  Aqua blue cool water.  Reality hit and I had to remind myself that this is the busiest time of the year at work.  I couldn’t just call in “sick” and hop a plane to head someplace magical on a whim.  Mr. B would think I was downright crazy for even suggesting something so spontaneous. So insane really.  
And yet, I couldn’t get the fantasy out of my head.  I decided to go back downstairs and see what it was that I saw that and put these kooky thoughts to rest.  As I rounded the corner I see just what it was that had started this daydream.  It was a pair of candlesticks I had recently purchased on clearance from Pier 1.  They resemble a shell.  A lovely, pure white shell.  That is when it hit me!  I may not be able to go to the beach (Denver is, after all, pretty land-locked) but, I could bring the beach to me!! 
From that moment forward I kinda blacked out.  I started grabbing plates, napkins, oooo those other candlesticks I got at Goodwill a few weeks ago, on 50% day ($1.00 each, SCORE), that started out pretty danged fugly but were made perfect with a can of glossy white spray paint.
I grabbed at anything I thought of as beachy.  I blindly ironed a white table cloth.  I frantically drove to Gordman’s looking for the perfect candles.  Instead I found the perfect glittery starfish! Again, $1.00 each.  On to Michael’s, I drove wildly, where I was able to find the candles I needed.
Once home, I regained my senses and checked out the items I had stacked up.  Slowly and methodically I assembled the placesetting.  Turquoise chargers, purchased at Cost Plus on sale after Christmas, were my starting point.  Next came a large white plate from the “as is” department at Ikea.  On top of the plate I placed a robin egg blue salad plate from Home Goods.  I added the starfish from Gordman’s on each plate, alternating the white and the teal blue around the table. The napkins were a stocking stuffer from Mr. B.  The sandy runner also came from the Ikea “as is” shelf.  For the centerpiece I used the candlesticks that started it all.  I added a jar of shells along with a couple of extra starfish. I placed some turquoise votives from Cost Plus near each setting. The wine goblets were another Goodwill find and their stems reminded me of bubbles, like cool, clear water bubbles. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I closed my eyes and took a step back.  When I opened them I inhaled a deep breath and was transformed. I suddenly felt cool.  I swear I felt a breeze blow softly through my hair.  No, maybe I can’t just take off on a tropical escape but, for now, I can enjoy a day at the beach.


Click here to see where I may be partying this week.

And don't forget to come by on Tuesday's
for the link party.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment