ic Test Blog: Tea With My Mother

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Tea With My Mother

I really can't have tea with my mother.
This week marks 
32 years since she passed away.
Very young and very suddenly.
Saturday, September 1
would have also been her 
78th birthday.
Not a day goes by that I don't think of her.
(my older and younger brother and me with mom)

She had such a great sense of humor!
My girlfriends always wanted to come
to our house because she made them laugh.
 
Mom was a traditional mom.
She never worked outside the home. 
And she never learned to drive.
She was tiny, 4 foot 11 and a half.
She always stressed the half LOL.

She loved TV!
 Especially soap operas.
To her, the actors were her friends.
She'd refer to them by their first name.
I remember her dressing up for 
Luke & Laura's wedding and telling her
friends that she would be unavailable as
she had a wedding to go to LOL!
Merv Griffin, Mike Douglas, Dinah Shore,
she loved them all and never missed
watching them.

I wish she had shared with me her
fried chicken recipe.
32 years have passed and I can still taste it.
32 years I have been trying, and failing,
to duplicate it.
She did, however, teach me how to 
 shuffle dance to "Tea For Two".


 She had not been sick at all
and, in fact had babysat
my six month old son,
the only grandchild she knew,
the day she passed.

She & my dad were on their way from
Denver to her birthplace, Iowa, for her birthday.
They stopped at a rest stop to,
well rest, along the way.
She went to sleep and never woke up.

To celebrate her birthday,
I set up a little table
so that she & I can have 
a birthday tea party together. 
Just us girls.

♥Tea For Two♥
I brought in a small round table
from the sunroom.
I covered it with a plain white tablecloth
and then layered on a scarf from my thrift shopping.
The tea cups and saucers are from Ross.

The teapot and matching
sugar and creamer
were purchased at Home Goods
with a birthday gift card
from my dear mother-in-law.
The rose pitcher was a gift long ago,
filled with flowers, from Mr. B.
The pink roses are from Michael's.

I like to think mom
saw me putting this little table together
and thought it special enough
to get dressed up and tell her
friends that she was unavailable.
She had a tea party at her daughter's to attend.
 Happy Birthday Mom!
I love you and I miss you♥


I always share my tablescapes with 
and 
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life Table Top Tuesday

Click here to see where else I may be partying this week.
AND
Don't forget to come by on Tuesday's
for my link party.

No comments:

Post a Comment