ic Test Blog: A Saskatchewan Thanksgiving

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Saskatchewan Thanksgiving

Even though Mr. B became a naturalized US citizen 
several years ago he is, and
always will be, 
a Canadian.

As you know, he was born and raised
in Saskatchewan.
He grew up on a farm in a 
small community.
 I like to do what I can to honor his
Canadian roots.
He is very proud to be Canadian. 

Celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving
is not like celebrating an American Thanksgiving,
although, the food is pretty much the same.
There are no Pilgrims involved.
It is to rejoice in a successful harvest.

Since we have been married I make
sure we commemorate
his Thanksgiving too.
Yes, we have two Thanksgivings!

This year I went a step further
and we are celebrating
a Saskatchewan Thanksgiving.
 Farm style.
My color choices are green, amber and burgundy.
All reflected in the thrift store napkins
I found a few months back.
The placemats are actually a pale yellow 
in real life but, didn't
photograph that way for their closeup.
The dark green dinner plates
are from the Dollar Tree.
The bowl and salad plate are also
thrift store finds for only .25 each.
They have such a warm and
vintage feel and look to them.
The scalloped design plays nicely
with the ruffled edges of the dinner plates.

 The silver plated flatware
is vintage Rogers and could have
belonged to someone's grandmother.
The wheat motif on the napkin was
another inspiration for this table.
Wheat was the main crop
on Mr. B's family farm.
And so, wheat is the natural centerpiece for the table.
I filled a vase with mini pumpkins
and acorns and then placed wheat
stalks in the center.
I layered some maple leaf placemats
for a runner down the table.

My favorite green goblet candle holders and
a pair of covered pumpkin bowls
complete the centerpiece

Green wine glasses from the Dollar Tree
and our everyday water goblets
finish off this holiday table.
I hope I have captured
the past for Mr. B.
He has so many fond memories 
of life on the farm (minus the long days and hard work),
Saskatchewan and Canada.
 To our Canadian family, friends and followers
we wish you a very 
Happy Thanksgiving!


I always share my tables with 
and 
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life Table Top Tuesday

Click here to see where else I may be partying this week.
AND
Don't forget to come by on Tuesday's
for my link party.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment