ic Test Blog: Pie Crust~My Way

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pie Crust~My Way

I am the first to admit,
I am not a baker.
I love to cook but,
baking requires a sense of science
and it's not something
you can just throw and go 
like I can do when I create a meal.

That being said,
I do love to make pies.
Mostly because Mr. B loves his sweets but is not
a big cake fan.

Not to say I don't make cakes, 
because I do.
Because I love cake!

But, if I want to 
keep the big guy happy,
a pie is the way to his heart.

I had tried, and failed,
many pie crust recipes trying
to find the perfect one.
 Mr. B likes his crusts dry but tasty.

About a year ago I finally hit on the perfect crust recipe
and I'd like to share the recipe
and how I make it with you today.

Here is what you will need:
 (this is for a double crust)

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 to 6 tablespoons ice water
1 beaten egg
Cinnamon Sugar mix
In a bowl, whisk together the flour and the salt.
Cut in the shortening until it's nice and crumbly.
(I know some recipes want your shortening 
to be cold but this recipe does not. 
And, if my dad were watching me, 
he'd wonder why I wasn't using frozen 
grated butter. 
Sorry dad, my crust, my way!) 
Sprinkle the vanilla over the mix and 
use the fancy pie tool thingy
(what is it called??)
to get it mixed in as evenly as you can.

Gradually add water, a few tablespoons at a time,
until the dough forms a ball
(at this point I toss convention aside and use my hands to "feel"
the dough and make sure it is moist enough
to not crumble but not wet.)
Divide into 2 evenish sized balls and set one aside.
Roll out the pastry to fit a 9-inch 
pie plate.
Do you find rolling out dough
to be as therapeutic as I do?
It's my favorite part of making a pie!
Transfer to pie plate and trim the pastry to about 1/2 inch
beyond the pie plate.


Brush the bottom crust evenly with
some of the beaten egg
and sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top.

Take your other ball of 
dough and roll out, again to fit 
a 9-inch pie.

Fill the bottom crust with your favorite pie filling
(this pie was for Canadian Thanksgiving
so I used Saskatoon berry pie filling 
Mr. B had ordered online from Canada).
Add the top crust and
crimp the edges together.
be as fancy as you'd like here.
Me, I used the tines of a fork
just like I remember my mother doing.
Brush the top crust with more of the egg
and sprinkle again with cinnamon sugar.

For this pie I baked it in a 450 degree oven for 
10 minutes
then reduced the heat to 350  degrees
for the final 30 minutes or until the top
is golden and the filling is bubbling.
I find that this cooks and sets the bottom
crust and, with berry pies in particular,
there is no leakage.

And there you have it!
A perfect and delicious
piece of pie.
Throw some ice cream or whipped cream on top
and Mr. B is one happy man.
Mission accomplished :-)

Click here to see where I may be partying this week.

And don't forget to come by on Tuesday's
for the link party.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment